Nurturing the Creative Spirit
The Sisters of St. AnnJuly 18, 2013 - July 18, 2013
Guest Curated by Carey Pallister, Archivist, Sisters of St. Ann Archives, with Michelle Jacques | Drury Gallery
In 1858, a small group of Sisters – the Sisters of St. Ann – traveled from Quebec to establish a convent in Victoria. They also established institutions
of education, notably St. Ann’s Academy, which is recognized as one of the first schools in BC to offer an art program. The Sisters recognized the
potential of art education to ready students for both the spiritual and practical aspects of life, and from 1873 until the Academy closed in 1973, the Sisters offered classes to students and the broader community. In 2011, 18 paintings from the Sisters of St. Ann were transferred to the AGGV in celebration of their important legacy as artists and art educators. Nurturing the Creative Spirit is an intimate exhibition that features paintings, drawings and ceramics by the Sisters and their students.